- If roasting your own, scatter the cashews onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt, place into a pre-headed oven at 175⁰C. Roast for 5 minutes, then given them a shake and roast for a further 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn. Once cooled place into a grinder and grind until they are a powdery consistency.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large heavy based pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and curry powder and cook, continuing to stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken and sugar and cover the pan. Simmer gently for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the yoghurt, cashews and fish sauce and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat, dress with the coriander and serve with boiled rice and warmed chapattis.
Saturday, 6 October 2012
A play on Malaysian and Singaporean flavours, this simple gentle curry is made creamy with the addition of blended cashew nuts, which impart a lovely sweet flavour without being too rich.
I have recently been on a mission to find a really good authentic curry recipe. Having checked out nearly every Indian and Asian cookery book in my local library I have been successful in my efforts. The praise is for Bill Granger, the author of Bill’s Everyday Asian. This book is the next thing on my shopping list. You can find it here.
Bill Granger is a self taught cook who grew up in Australia, he has written several cookery books and owns seven restaurants, one in London, three in Sydney, three in Japan where he currently lives. I am so pleased to have discovered a new chef, especially one whose forte is Asian food and i look forward to delving further into Bill’s books and recipes.
I made a few small variations to this recipe; I added 2 finger chillies as I like spicy food and roasted the cashews myself.
1 tbsp light-flavoured oil
2 red onions, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2cm piece of ginger, grated
3 green finger chillies, finely chopped
3 tbsp mild curry powder
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
400g chicken, cut into pieces
2 tsp granulated sugar
300 ml natural yoghurt
155g roasted cashews, ground
2 tsp fish sauce
Large handful of coriander
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes