Blank
blank
Thursday, 30 May 2013

Steak Sandwich with Horseradish Cream and Rocket

What with all this moving and my immanent holiday, I've not really had much time for cooking and recipe development recently, which is really how this recipe surfaced. I needed something quick, budget friendly and of course tasty. And let me tell you, this delicious 10 minute recipe ticks all of those boxes. Having moved in with my big brother and discovered that he lives on pizza and milkshake, I feel a certain sense of responsibility to ensure he has something healthy and tasty on his dinner plate at least once a week. And to be honest, I could do with a new guinea pig so I think we’ll do just fine together.





Kelvin (my brother) was rather impressed with this super quick supper, although he was not quite so impressed with the huge plume of smoke that appeared from the general cooker area. Perhaps there was not quite enough oil/ butter in my steak pan, but then again, my steak barely touches the pan before being briskly whipped out in an attempt not to over cook it. Yes, I’m a fan of very rare steak and would rather eat it completely raw than well done, seriously! You can really taste the meat when it’s rare and it practically melts in your mouth – delicious. However you like your steak cooked, I urge you to give this recipe a go.

Beef and horseradish, for me, are two things that belong together, and nowhere do they work better than in this recipe. If you’re not a huge fan of horseradish, or find it too hot, you can change the quantities to suit your own palate. Personally, I like it fairly punchy so the recipe below will give you a nice hot horseradish cream, but just add more sour cream for a milder version. It’s also worth noting that you can use a various different steak cuts, but I opted for rump because I tend to like the fatter cuts – they've so much more flavour, but obviously fillet would be nice too, not quite as cheap, but certainly nice.  
  
1 ciabatta loaf
1 rump or fillet steak
Knob of butter
Handful of rocket
100ml sour cream
1 tbsp horseradish
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine the sour cream, horseradish and mustard in a small bowl, mix well.

Cut the ciabatta in half length ways then through the middle to create two sandwiches. Toast under the grill until golden. Meanwhile season and cook the steak in the knob of butter. Once cooked removed from the pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Spread a thin layer of horseradish cream onto each slice of ciabatta. Thinly slice the steak and pile on top. Add more horseradish sauce if required and a handful of rocket.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tried this recipe? Leave me your feedback...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...